Sunday, November 9, 2008

When you're hot...

Wow. Manny Fernandez was spectacular last night, wasn't he? For awhile, I was pretty sure that it was Timmy in a Manny suit, but...he just played a solid game, and I'm actually pretty pleased with that. Is this me starting to soften toward my arch-nemesis Manny Fernandez? I think it might be...but only if he keeps it up like this. Let's hope this is Manny being Manny, because this Manny? I can learn to tolerate. Reflex saves, instinct saves and just all around good, key saves when they were called for...that was the first time he played like the $4,000,000 goaltender we asked for when we picked him up.

Two solid goaltenders makes for a good season...

What to talk about next? Ah yes...you know I had to say his name eventually, since hardly a blog post goes by when I don't mention Marc Savard. Yeah, we've sort of come to expect amazingness from him now, but he really does never let us down. He plays with so much heart and he never lets us forget how happy he is to be playing for us. He really is the very best centermen that we've had in a long time. That's right, Jumbo Joe, I went there.

Not to be lost is what Michael Ryder does on a nightly basis. He may not be putting up goals, and sometimes he doesn't get assists, either, but you know what? He's playing solid hockey right now. Doing the best he can with what he's given. Give it time, and I'm sure he'll be back to his goal scoring ways. I really wish that they'd put him back up on a line with Marc Savard, because they really did work well together. Phil Kessel worked so well on that line with Sturm and Bergeron, so I don't know why they'd break up a good thing. But alas.

Oh...and yes, Dennis Wideman.

Easily our best defenseman right now.

I don't care what anyone says. Dennis Wideman is our best, all around defenseman right now. He can go from O to D at the drop of a pin and he's just solid, solid, solid. He's been absolutely amazing and I can't even believe how far he's come in the short time that he's played for us. He went from dog house to amazing in one-and-a-half seasons, and he's definitely living up to that contract extension we gave him in the offseason. I'd love to see anyone come up with a feasible argument as to why he's not our number one.

Also, welcome back, Chuck Kobasew. He just stepped right in and remidned us why we missed him so much. Yes, it was bad that Petteri Nokelainen had to be stratched in order for this to happen, but Chuck is back, and Noke is there just in case something happens to anyone else. Chuck was all over the ice last night. Throwing his weight around, scoring goals, notching assists...what a kid (she says of the guy who's two years older than she is).

Finally, this whole Glen Murray situation breaks my heart. He is still my favorite player, but the fact that he's going for full salary here, when he certainly doesn't deserve it, is just awful. He underperformed last season, plain and simple. And if this injury was so bad last season, and needed immediate attention, why was he shopping himself to teams in the offseason under the claim that he was healthy? He really just wants to take us for what he can get, and it's really disappointing.

Back to the happy, before I depart. The Bruins have won seven of their last games, and have given up no more than two goals a piece in each of those games. This team right here looks like a team poised to really make a run for it. Solid O, D and G, and a fanbase that's finally beginning to take notice. This is our season. I can feel it.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Haha, when the Bruins scored their first goal last night, I was like 'Oh shi-, is that...Yeah, it's Dennis Wideman, I KNEW IT.' XD

Again, congratulations to your boys. (:

Beware of Bear said...

Tragically, tragically underrated, that boy. *sighs*

Thanks, Shelb. =)